Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Christmas tree is not perfect, but it's perfect.

It's a new phenomenon for me to share Christmas tree decorating duties with anyone. I used to be really picky about how it all went together. I would spend hours as a child re-arranging the family tree, and have really enjoyed having my own tree as an adult. The kids were mildly interested in helping me last year, but I did most of it without them, then let them add a few ornaments around the bottom at the end. They were fine with that, I think. To be honest, in the past I didn't really care if they were fine with it!

This year, we did the whole thing together, and WOW, was that ever fun.
They were so enamored with the process; delighted to look at each ornament and find the perfect spot for each one. Anna said to me several times, "Mama! This is SO MUCH FUN!"
I agree, Darling.
Louie was quick to inhabit empty ornament boxes!

A sad moment for me came when I pulled out this rottweiler ornament. Our friends Pete & Karen gave it to Brian and I the Christmas after Kato died. It looks a lot like Kato, in fact.

The weird thing about that ornament is how the front leg broke off. The same front leg that Sancho lost when he first got bone cancer. So now the rottweiler ornament is a tribute to both K-Doggy and Sancho. Sweet memories.

Eric, being three, got tired and crashed on Brian before too long. As did Louie, but Louie will take any opportunity to crash on Brian.
 Anna was with me until the very end. She had a little melt-down when I wouldn't let her put up my Swarovski snowflakes. I've been buying one each year since Brian and I got married. They are very expensive, and very special. As a compromise, I laid them all out and we talked about each one. Important things that happened each year, what the snowflakes represent. Even why 2001, 2002 & 2003 are each a little bit broken because Sancho knocked over the Christmas tree in 2003. She was especially interested in 2005 and 2007, as those were the years she and her brother were born. (I'm kicking myself now for not buying an extra one those years so they could each have the one from their birth year!) I finally agreed to allow her to hand me the snowflakes, one at a time, and I put them on the tree. It seemed like a good compromise to both of us.
2005 Swarovski Snowflake
It was so much more fun for me to share this experience with the kids, and I couldn't be happier with the final result.
I love that the ribbons we use as garlands are unevenly clumped together. I love that Eric wanted to place all the animal ornaments, and Anna only wanted to place "The Pretty Things."
It's not perfect, but Wow, is it ever PERFECT.

 
And we only broke three bulbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment