Monday, November 22, 2010

#sNoShow?

OMG, IT'S THE STORM OF THE CENTURY! I love Portland, I really do. I can extol her virtues at the drop of a hat. But one of the quirky things about this place is how everyone FREAKS OUT whenever we have any out-of-the-ordinary weather. It's all anyone can talk about. In fact, the weather doesn't even have to do anything out of the ordinary do get us all in a flutter... how about just the chance of it? The news stations (love you guys!) break out the dramatic graphics and send poor reporters all over town.

 It's been this way for as long as I can remember, but a new humorous bent is the ability to follow the #pdxtst hashtag on twitter.

It's so tongue in cheek... pdxtst stands for Portland Twitter.....Storm.....Team!
I love all the suggested hashtags for severe weather, like #snowmaggedon and #snowpocalypse! (When it's unusually hot in the summer, we have #summergeddon!)

I usually want it to snow so badly that I really do hang on every #pdxtst post – as if knowing there are flakes in the the Sylvan-Highlands neighborhood will make them come to me in Grant Park.
Snow days have a whole new meaning now that I have kids. It's a forced day off for me, with nothing planned except being together and playing. Of course, with ZooLights starting on Wednesday, this week really wouldn't be ideal for me. There are a number of little details on my punch list that need to be taken care of in the next 2 days! But hey... force of nature, act of God... if it happened, I wouldn't complain. I'd make hot chocolate with Brian & the kids, we'd dig out the mittens and hats and have a blast.
But for now, it would seem that #SNOWMAGGEDON isn't happening. So we'll call it #sNoShow instead and keep hoping.

What would you do with a snow day?

No comments:

Post a Comment