Thursday, February 3, 2011

Fewer Than 40

Wow, I'm 40!
I've been saying I'm 40 for a few years, so the actual number doesn't actually seem so shocking. But I'm pretty sure that achieving this age is supposed to mean that I'm officially grown up. I'm not.
But there is something about 40 {or maybe it's all the master planning meetings we've been having at the zoo} that makes me think more about the future than I ever have before. In the last few weeks, I've been dwelling on what I need to do and who I need to be and what plans I need to make in order to get where I want to be in the next 25 years.
Yes, I am working on a 25 year master plan for myself!

But you know who doesn't have the luxury of 25 years?
Amur leopards.

photo courtesy ALTA, Amur Leopard & Tiger Alliance

© WCS / ISUNR

There are fewer than forty of them left in the wild.
Critically endangered.
Their biggest threat is habitat loss and encroachment of humans.
There is still time to save these gorgeous creatures, however. Even a donation of the price of a latte (why not ten lattes?) would help.
Oregon Zoo's Future For Wildlife Fund supports leopard conservation work in Russia

Here's how to help!
Go here and donate:
follow this link to ALTA to make your donation right now!
I just did this, and it took less than a minute. I chose to donate $40 because it's my fortieth birthday. Can you give $4? Or more? Every little bit helps.

In 25 years, I would love to know that we turned the tide for these animals.

Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. That's one of the many things I love about you. Thinking ahead and thinking outside of yourself! I've said it many times.. you're the complete package - looks, brains and a big heart!

    ReplyDelete