Thursday, October 21, 2010

Brussels Sprouts

I love them.
They're a seasonal delight, and popping up at my favorite farmers' market. So I've bought stalks the last two weeks... and then they sit there. I love them! Why don't I prepare them? I feel so guilty when they sit there, reminding me to eat more veggies. They're stalking me (pun intended) every time I go in the kitchen.
Brussels sprouts are a commitment, though. The way I love to eat them takes a little bit of work to prepare.

The recipe, courtesy of my darling friends April & Yashi, is this:
Cut the ends off each bulb and peel the little leaves off. Yes, take apart each little bulb. I usually cut it in half to facilitate the decimation.
Place all the little leaves in a baking dish.
Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt & pepper.
Sometimes I sprinkle freshly grated parmigiano on, sometimes I wait until they come out of the oven.
Bake at 400ยบ for about 40 minutes, stirring up occasionally.

When they come out of the oven, I often just stand over the baking dish and eat them right there -- it's so good, I can't even wait to put them on a plate.

But you can see why it's a bit of a commitment, right? Who has an hour to commit to a vegetable?
Actually, my early morning running date just got canceled this morning... maybe I should go tackle those Brussels sprouts. I'll feel virtuous despite not running... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment